ToneStone is a place where anyone can make music. The ToneStone platform removes barriers to song creation, providing the tools, content and community for unlocking musical creativity. Co-founded by former leaders from Harmonix, Valve, and Amazon, ToneStone is currently in development and in private testing.
More information about ToneStone will be shared with candidates that progress to a phone screen interview with the hiring team. In the meantime, you can check out an article on The Verge.
About the Role
ToneStone is looking for an Art Director that can establish and guide the aesthetic of the app across multiple platforms in 2D and 3D, including VR, desktop, and mobile. The Art Director will also be responsible for informing how the ToneStone brand is represented on web and marketing properties. While the role involves high-level art direction and shaping the work of others, this role requires being hands-on and generating usable art assets.
A key component to ToneStone is immersive visuals that accompany and react to the music being made by the user. In addition to the UI, the Art Director will be responsible for the look and feel of these visual experiences and making sure that they are cohesive with all other aspects of the app across platforms.
This is a high-level role requiring a self-motivated leader who can take full ownership of their domain and the responsibilities it entails.
- Create high-level vision and artistic direction for a cross-platform music creation platform on desktop, VR, and mobile
- Guide and shape the work of other artists to fit into our brand and product aesthetics
- Provide artistic feedback and mentorship to art team
- Create style guides that other artists can generate art by using them as a reference
- Help evolve the ToneStone brand’s visual identity, such as logo development, typography, color selection, and more
- Collaborate with artists, designers, and engineers to design and implement polished and fluid interfaces, leading to great user experiences
- Create game menus, navigation elements, in-world graphic design, logos, iconography systems, and motion graphics
- Create gameplay mock-ups that effectively convey new ideas
- 5+ year of experience designing UIs and art assets and for games or other creative platform software mediums
- 1+ years of experience in an Art Director or equivalent role
- Understanding of software/game development pipelines
- Experience creating UIs than span multiple platforms
- Broad knowledge of art disciplines, including concept art, animation, environment, VFX, UI, lighting, shading, and rendering
- A portfolio showcasing exceptional artistic and design skill
- Experience with branding or visual identity creation
- Experience with game engines such as Unity and Unreal
- Comfortable working with 3D tools and 3D environments
- Ability to conceptualize, articulate, and execute ideas and design thinking
- Strong understanding of working with style guides/specific art direction
- Up-to-date experience and interest in video games and game-like systems
- Passion for music or music making